Asian Art Celebration
June 28 · 11:00am – 5:00pm
The BMA is continuing its 100th celebration with a fun-filled day of music, dance performances, and art activities inspired by the newly renovated galleries for the Asian art collection.
Asian Art Celebration Schedule
- 11am: Experience morning meditation with Diane Finlayson in the BMA Sculpture Garden
- 11am-5pm: Make dragon puppets in the BMA classroom
- 11am-5pm: Shop the Plum Blossom Kimono trunk show
- 11:30am: Dragon Tales story time with gallery educator Carol Grady
- 12pm: Watch a dazzling and auspicious Lion Dance performance and Kung Fu demonstration by leading teachers from Goh’s Kung Fu school
- 12pm-3pm : See master calligrapher John Wang demonstrate Chinese brushwork
- 12pm-4pm: Make sun prints (weather permitting), and origami lotus flowers
- 12:30pm-2:30pm: Join in a comic drawing activity with Amy Chu and Craig Yeung, the writer and artist for the BMA’s new publication inspired by the exquisite sculpture of Guanyin now on view in the Asian galleries
- 1pm: Enjoy a performance by the Washington Guzheng Society
- 2pm: Participate in afternoon T'ai Chi with Claudia Thomas in the Sculpture Garden
- 2pm: Listen to a dramatic reading of “OUR LAUNDRY, OUR TOWN: CHINA/USA” with NY-based playwright/performer and Goucher College professor, Alvin Eng. Stay for an in-depth conversation with the artist about the themes and ideas in his memoir.
- 2 pm-4 pm: Tea Tasting with Chocolatea
- 3pm: Listen to the captivating sounds of master pipa player Yihan Chen perform traditional and contemporary musical works
- 3pm-4pm: Book signing with Amy Chu and Craig Yeung, the writer and artist for the BMA’s new publication inspired by the exquisite sculpture of Guanyin now on view in the Asian galleries
- The Green Bowl, Madame BBQ, and Taharka Ice Cream food trucks will be on site all day.