Holiday Hours: The Museum and BMA Shop will close at 3 p.m.
on December 24 and December 31. The Museum and BMA Shop will be closed on December 26.
The Cone Collection of modern art is the crown jewel of the BMA, featuring works by Matisse, Picasso, Pissarro, Courbet, and Degas.
Collected by Baltimore sisters Claribel and Etta Cone from the early-mid 20th century, the Cone Collection is one of the world’s most important art collections.
The Cone Collection came to the BMA upon Etta Cone’s death in 1949, and has been on view in the BMA’s Cone Wing since 1957.
The Cone Collection includes such masterworks as:
- Henri Matisse’s iconic Blue Nude (1907) and Large Reclining Nude (1935)
- Paul Cézanne’s Mont Sainte-Victoire Seen from the Bibémus Quarry (c. 1897)
- Paul Gauguin’s Vahine no te vi (Woman of the Mango) (1892)
- Pablo Picasso’s Mother and Child (1922)
- Edgar Degas's Little Dancer, Aged Fourteen (Original model 1881; this cast 1919-1921)
- Vincent van Gogh's A Pair of Boots (1887)
Press for The Cone Collection
“…the most illuminating installation of a museum’s permanent collection (or part of one) in recent memory.” Wall Street Journal